My Blog List

Monday 6 December 2010

Mini rage

ALL Lothian buses are cancelled. No way to get home, no news except a stupid message on their site. It would take me at least an hour and a half to walk home in optimal conditions, so probably around 3 hours in the snow. This was supposed to be my last week at work, I was meaning to get so much done and leave a good impression of how efficient I can be. Now I’ll probably need to go home in the next hour and abandon everything, just so I can get home.

I still love snow, but I hate how unprepared we are in Scotland for it. I love this country, I moved here from the other side of the world and decided to stay, and it isn’t often I whinge and moan about it. But this is taking the biscuit. We have had extreme snow for the past few years, and still no one will admit it’s coming…and actually prepare for it. What’s wrong with sticking snow tyres on buses and providing adequate snowplough services? We used to get far more snow than this in Toronto when I was a wee kid, and the city never ground to a complete halt like this.

One year at Hogmanay, there was a blizzard – this was a white-out, the kind never seen in Scotland. I was in Toronto; me and my friend Pete had gone to a warehouse party downtown and we were pretty much stuck – you couldn’t see a foot in front of your face it was that bad. We still managed tog et a taxi, and there were night buses running (though not to where we wanted to go).

Why the hell is it so difficult to make provisions for snow in this country???

No comments:

Post a Comment